Thursday, April 12, 2012

No Fear!

There are fearful moments in each of our lives. Some are more scary than others, but no one can say that mine is more scary than yours. Each person at each stage of life has a different view of fear and what scares them. I remember a couple of times when I was little where I felt pure fear. Now, looking back, they weren't particularly fearful situations, but at the time, they were the scariest things I had ever been through.

One particular instance I recall involved a sock drawer full of socks and a little grey mouse. I was getting some socks out of the drawer and when I opened the drawer there was this little mouse staring up at me. I screamed bloody murder! My parents ran into my room to see what was wrong and I was just standing there screaming. Dad had to save the day and get rid of the mouse.

Another instance was one night I had a dream about a scary guy at the food of my bed in my room. I woke up screaming and crying. I remember telling my mom that it was so real. I really thought there was a man in my room. It was not like a dream! My mom helped me calm down and I went back to bed.

Looking back at both of these times in my life, there are a few things that I realize about them.
  1. In both cases I was genuinely fearful.
  2. In both cases my parents came to my rescue.
  3. In both cases I was able to calm down and move past them.
These are just fears that I recall from early in life, but since then, the things that scare me have been bigger, harder issues to deal with. But remembering my previous trials and the fact that I made it through them gives me strength and confidence to face the trials of tomorrow.

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.

In facing future fears, I will remember:
  1. I may be genuinely fearful
  2. But my Father (my Jesus) will come to my rescue
  3. and I will be able to calm down and move past it!

No comments:

Post a Comment