Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hold Me Fast!

Psalm 139:7-10
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

I have to admit, at times I can be a bit of a smart alac. I didn't used to be that way, but the more I go through in life, the more I struggle with this. People say things that are just plain dumb and it takes everything within me not to make a comment. I sometimes roll my eyes and grin but try to bite my tongue. Other times, things just slip out.

Back in January, the Lord started moving in my life in ways He never has before. I will talk more about all that later, but ever since then, He has been molding me and shaping me. Now, when things go wrong or even if I'm just annoyed by someone, I literally feel the Lord holding my tongue. I physically have a harder time responding than before. I have also noticed lately that if something has to come out, it won't be words, it will be tears. Now, trust me, there are times and places where that is extremely awkward.

Slowly, I am coming to realize how important it is to hold your tongue. The verses below show this.
  • Proverbs 13:3 - He who guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction. 
  • Proverbs 15:28 - The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.  
  • Psalm 34:14 - Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.  
  • Proverbs 18:21 - Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Back to Psalm 139, no matter where I am at, the Lord's hand is guiding me and holding me fast! Thank goodness, because the Lord knows I can't do it alone. I tend to be too sarcastic on my own.

Thank you Jesus for keeping my tongue! Keep on guiding and directing my words so that they will be a reflection of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment