Friday, May 3, 2013

Rivers of Living Water

I am by no means an expert on the Holy Spirit. I am ill equipped to even attempt to write a blog post about Him as I do not have great background knowledge, but what I do have is personal experience and moments from Him that I want to reflect on.

John 7:37-39 says: On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

I have read this scripture before and struggled to really understand what Jesus was promising would come. I may be a bit literal in my thinking, but hearing “out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” is something that is not easily comprehended for me. I remember as a teenager hearing this verse and thinking the same thing. While I knew it didn’t mean literal rivers flowing out a person’s heart, what exactly does it mean?

Again, I am not an expert, so I’m not going to give you some definition and tell you that this is exactly what this means. What I will say is this: The Holy Spirit, if we allow Him to, can infiltrate every single part of our life: the good, the bad, the ugly and the beautiful. He is our friend, our comforter, our companion, and our guide. He is many other things as well. As we allow the Holy Spirit to be all of those things to us, we fill ourselves up with Him; then we will overflow with His love and peace. That doesn’t mean that we don’t struggle in life, but we have the ability (the help) to get through the trial. I also believe that we will overflow with His love for others and will want to share His love with anyone who will listen.

The pictures you see in this post are a few pictures I took on a trip to Denver. Outside the hotel was a three tiered pond. In between each tier was a rock wall that created a small waterfall at each level. I was walking around outside the hotel and looking at this pond. I was intrigued with it. Not that I haven’t seen ponds and waterfalls before, but this one seemed so pretty to me. It was peaceful, serene, and calming. I was walking around it, taking some pictures, when I suddenly stopped. I thought; this is how the Holy Spirit moves. He flows in our lives and increases us to the next level in Him.  He flows over the rocky parts of our lives and helps us through them and when we reach the end of those rocks, we come out on the other side, calm, peaceful, intact, and still moving forward.

My prayer for each of you and myself today, is that the Holy Spirit will move in your life and mine today. That He would carry you and me through the trials and that He will be your calm, your peace, and your comfort today. Holy Spirit dwell today in me and help me to continually dwell in you. Use me to show the love of Jesus to others today and help me to be your light as I go through this day. Bring the people into my path who need you Jesus and help me to say or do exactly what they need me to for them to see you. Thank you for your love and your salvation! Thank you for the ability to share those with others. Thank you for your unfailing kindness and your faithfulness. Thank you for loving me and giving me the opportunity to love others.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful insight and inspiration! I enjoyed this post very much. What a great way to witness. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! Hope you have a blessed day!! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful post and spirit-filled insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for stopping by my blog and reading it!!

      Delete