Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Knock at the Door

This evening, before we left for church, there was a knock on the front door. I opened to door and standing there was a young single mother. She was involved in some sort of workforce program. She talked for a few minutes and asked me several questions while I waited to find out what exactly she was selling.

She asked me if I believed in working hard and programs like the one she was in to help train people to get a better job in the future. She asked me what I did for a living and asked me where I started and how I worked my way up to where I am now. It was quite interesting as she seemed to be gleaning information about how to succeed in life at the same time she was trying to make her sales pitch.

Turns out, she was selling books and magazines. I told her I really couldn't purchase anything right now and I wished her well hoping she would take that answer and be on her way. I really don't care much for people knocking on my door trying to sell me stuff.

I almost missed a chance to share the love of Christ with a complete stranger who randomly showed up at my door, but lucky for me, the Holy Spirit gave me another chance!

Before she left, she asked me what advice I would give to someone like her in regards to succeeding in life. That caught me off guard and anyone who knows me very well knows that I am not too good at thinking on my toes and answering a question like that.

The first thing I said was, "don't give up". Then as I thought for a minute, I told this young woman that life gets hard sometimes. Sometimes it gets really hard, but the one thing that has always gotten me through the trials in life is my relationship with Jesus. I told her if it wasn't for Jesus I don't believe I would be here today.

She looked at me for a minute and said, oh yeah, me too. That phrase wasn't near as confident sounding as the rest of her sales pitch was. She quickly said thank you and goodbye.

My prayer tonight is that she hears that echo in her mind and heart and that she finds that relationship with Jesus and the next time she hears that from someone, she can say with confidence that she has that and leans on that daily for help and strength.

I am praying The Lord gives me more of these opportunities and that I don't miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment